Re: [Amps] Shipping Damage

To: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shipping Damage
From: "David C. Hallam" <dhallam@rapidsys.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:35:04 -0500
My wife and I sell on eBay.  Over the past few years, I have had to file a
number of claims and found UPS fairly easy to deal with about shipping
damage.  You need some documentation to substantiate the amount of the
claim, i.e., purchase price, repair cost, replacement cost, etc.  All
cartons and packing materials should be retained for their inspection.  All
of this assumes that the shipment was insured for the value of the claim and
the shipper made an honest attempt to package the items for safe shipment.

At one time I had a fairly expensive over/under shotgun damaged in shipment.
This was in spite of an extensive amount of packaging material and solid
carton.  UPS paid the full cost of repairs without any complaint.

One thing you have to remember about UPS shipments is that package handling
is automated and conveyorized.   Items should be packaged to survive a fall
of several feet from a conveyor.  It happens.

David C. Hallam
KC2JD