Re: [Amps] Shipping Damage

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shipping Damage
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:19:20 -0500

Paul Christensen wrote:
>>>that fact by requiring different packaging for some regions.  Alpha had
>>
> their
>
>>box approved for shipping by UPS from Colorado and we could ship an 87A
>>to Florida with no problems. But that same box would not meet the return
>>shipment specs from Florida because there had been a long history of
>
> increased
>
>>damage in the Florida region.  So, in order to return an Alpha from
>>Florida, it was necessary to place the original Alpha box in a second box.
>

> Incredible.  So the shipper's solution to the "long term problem" was to
> burden the customer -- not conduct a root-cause-analysis into the problem.
>
> It's pretty hard to believe that in this competitive age, the leadership of
> any shipper would not take ownership of the problem.  Instead, they appear
> to be perfectly happy in allowing the abuse to continue once they've been
> put on-notice of the problem.
>
> - Paul, W9AC

I am in Florida and used to ship things from my company by ups. I
remember when they started this blanket "double box" BS. I can't quite
remember when it started but long ago they gave no hassle about packing.
Then suddenly one day they started requiring everything double boxed. I
would get items in from suppliers in a single box and they would not
accept them for reshipment.

At the drop off stations I would ask them to "show me where it is in
your tariff" that it has to be double boxed. After arguments with the
manager they would usually accept the package. Never did show me the tariff!

When shipping from an open account from the company where they picked
up, I never had a problem with packaging requirements. They never
inspected or told me how to pack things either.

I think most of the so called "requirements" were / are to gain more
revenue per shipment (heavier package with added packaging) and to
reduce their liability for their sloppy handling at the customers
expense. Taking advantage of those that they can.

I am so happy that fedx now has ground service. I almost never use ups
anymore.

73
Gary  K4FMX