Re: [Amps] Water cooled amp question

To: "Stan C." <kf6ikc@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Water cooled amp question
From: John Lawson <jpl15@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 00:35:54 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Stan C. wrote:

> Thanks to all that have replied so far to my question about cooling a
> water cooled tube. It seems like I might be trying to over do my system.
> It is just that from Eimac's web site the say not to use copper
> parts,etc. Also that the water into the tube can not be over 50 deg.C
> (about 122 deg F). As the heat exchanger and water tank will be
> outside,this kinda worries me. As it gets 115+ deg.F here in the summer
> quite often. That is cutting it close....as the say the water should be
> about 35 deg.C into the tube. As for pumps I have been looking at Gen-X

    Stan, I might suggest that you look around for one of those (used)
little "window box" type of swamp coolers...  then you can use the
hi-volume pump to not only pump water through your heat-exchanger (car
heater core, or similar) but you can divert a bit of the water to use in
the cooler, or run deion water in the 'tube circuit' and place the
heat-exchanger in the air-stream of the little cooler.  I've done this for
cooling hydraulic systems and process water, and big 35MM movie projector
water-cooled gates.

  Also, if you plumb with the 'food grade' clear plastic tubing, it will
eliminate the conductivity problems. And most of that will hadle 100C and
above...

   Question for The List: Could not one use glycol? (Antifreeze) in the
tube circuit?

Cheers

John  KB6SCO