Re: [Amps] Alpha 77Dx -Adding Grounded Grid Filament Choke

To: Tomm Aldridge <KD7QAE@ARRL.NET>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 77Dx -Adding Grounded Grid Filament Choke
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 16:50:23 -0800
In a HF amplifier, a +HV arc to ground sometimes accompanies an
intermittent VHF parasitic oscillation. The reason for the arc is that
a HF tank acts as a low-pass filter, so it does not allow VHF energy to
get pass the Tune-C.  As a result,  the VHF energy has no way out so it
runs amuck and sometimes causes arcs.  The SB-220 and the TL-922 are
examples of amplifiers that occasionally do this.  In a stock TL-922,
the voltage buildup is impressive because the 6000V Tune-C can arc, yet
the anode supply is only 3000VDC