Re: [Amps] Even more power solid-state amp's

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Even more power solid-state amp's
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:34:38 -0500
What if you had two final tubes, one idle until the other gave up the ghost.
It's easy to change over the same way with way less circuitry. Personally, I
dont like cramming all those solid state devices together that way when 1 tube
will do the same. Actually, like I mentioned above have two, one being a spare
to be switched to. They have made them in that very setup so I cant see any
benefits to the solid state over the tube. All those cards and the
interconnecting wiring inside the cabinet is like trying to cram 10 pounds of
s#it in a 5 pound box. When or if they ever make some large semis that you
could run one in place of a tube, then that would change my thinking. Now, I
dont think any of the "bricks" made today operate anywhere close to the RF
range. Powerex makes some big semis but still nothing in this freq. range I
dont think.

Best,

Will