Re: [Amps] ebay and amps

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ebay and amps
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:23:00 +0100
Bob Maser wrote:
> I would not go near this deal!  A friend of mine, K6OR, bought a FT1000MK5
> from a guy in Europe, wired him the money via Western Union, per his
> directions, and never saw his money again and never got the radio.  Since
> the deal was done outside of eBay, eBay wouldn't do anything.  Caviat
> Emptor.
>
> Bob W6TR
eBay's insurance is next to useless, as I found out to my cost. Read why
here:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&frame=right&th=71cc420fe4fc6571&seekm=3837D313.9D3F1BA%40medphys.ucl.ac.uk#link1

(you might question why I sent cash to a foreign country, but at the
time, before Paypal, it was by far the cheapest way of sending small
amounts of money. Bank charges were too high to make it practical to use
bank drafts. In any case, the seller admits he received the money).

Hence I don't really care whether a deal is done thru eBay or not.

My biggest loss is actually from another ham, who advertised rectifier
stacks on this mailing list.

http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Amps/1998-08/msg00137.html

Yet he maintains I ripped him off. We both lost out, but it was his
stupidity in advertising something at about 4x its actual specification.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/