Re: [Amps] Shorting Sticks

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shorting Sticks
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:40:27 -0400
Perzactly! My reasoning on the discharger was to allow the caps to discharge
through some resistance at first to limit the current, and after a short time,
say 2 seconds, a dead short by a relay would finish it off. To me, the quick
discharge of a capacitor is really hard on it and can ruining the dialectric.

Another thing I dont trust are those safety latches on most amps which mostly
short the caps to ground if the lid is opened. Lets say the contact was made
once under a full charge, or worse, while the amp was running. Then an arc
would burn the contact surface maybe to a complete open. This then could make a
high resistance there or even make it fail in the future to where it wouldn't
discharge them at all. Next, some poor un-assuming soul went ahead and put his
hands on a fully charged capacitor bank (providing the resistors was bad).

One rule I always do on a charged capacitor bank or a running amp is to keep
one hand behind my back and use the other to do any measurements. This way if I
slip, the worse case would be to just get it maybe from a finger to the wrist,
across the fingers, etc., and not through my body. Just that shock to the hand
is enough to knock the dickens outta ya really quick! One trough the body
though could stop your heart! I've been bit before it it sure aint no fun.......

Best,

Will