Re: [Amps] Shorting Sticks

To: Bill Coleman N2BC <n2bc@stny.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shorting Sticks
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:56:51 -0400
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but you also need to be careful
when shorting the cap to ground, that the ground circuit for the cap
hasn't opened up. For instance the meter resistor that bill mentions
from B- to chassis ground. If that is open you will not discharge the
cap with your shorting stick by hanging it on the B+ side of the cap.

You could even burn that resistor open in the process of shorting the
cap! You could get a bang and only partially discharge the cap thinking
you were successful in the discharge.

You need to also short from the - side of the cap to the + side of the cap.

Incidentally you guys are not calling that shorting stick by it's right
name. It is better known as a "Jesus" stick, as that is usually what is
said when the device is used successfully on a hot circuit.

Many years ago at an Air force radar transmitter every once in a while a
new guy would touch the "stick" to the HV supply of the 10 mega watt
transmitter and forget to shut the HV off first! They would always call
the stick by it's proper name and usually turn a little white and get
weak in the knees! The over current relays would immediately shut things
down so no damage was done other than a large pit in the end of the "stick".

73
Gary  K4FMX