[Amps] 220 amp power supply plugs

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 220 amp power supply plugs
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:56:57 -0500
Fellow amp aficionados:

Pardon the seemingly dumb question.

For years I have used either a Collins 30-L-1, or a Yaesu FL2100B amp,
both wired by their previous owners for 120 and used on 20 amp AC circuits.

I'm considering adding 220 in the shack in case I ever decided to buy
something a little beefier output wise (The father of a Boy Scout I
helped earn his Eagle Scout rank has made me a good offer to do the
wiring. He owns his own electrical contracting business.)  But since
I've never really looked at the power supply cords for a 220 amp I was
wondering if there was a standard 220 plug for amps?   At Ham Com in
Arlington Texas earlier this month I looked at several Ameritrons that
were set up for 220 and they had 220 plugs that had a plug  with two
parallel lugs and one vertical. I was wondering if this was the
"standard" on 220 for amps?  I've been to Lowe's and Home Depot and seen
the plethora of 220 plugs they carry.  It seems that clothes dryers and
electric stoves now used a four conductor plug (rather than the old
three conductor) supposedly called for in the latest National Electrical
Code revisions.

Tom, WW5L