Re: [Amps] 220 amp power supply plugs

To: "Joe Isabella" <n3ji@yahoo.com>, <WW5L@gte.net>,"Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 220 amp power supply plugs
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:55:10 -0400
> I'm considering adding 220 in the shack in case I ever decided to buy
> something a little beefier output wise

Tom,

For the past fifteen years or so, I have been standardizing my own 240VAC
amp connections with twist-lock plugs and sockets.  Home Depot carries the
Leviton brand but Hubbell, Pass & Seymour, and others make similar
commercial-quality hardware.

As Joe, pointed out, it would be wise to wire the shack with 4-wire 240VAC
service in the event you purchase an older amp that requires a
current-carrying 120 VAC neutral for the internal blower.   Home Depot sells
both the 3 and 4-wire version of the 20 and 30-amp twist-lock style
hardware.

-Paul, W9AC