Re: [Amps] Alpha 87 Omega

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87 Omega
From: "Scott Manthe" <n9aa@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:55:35 -0500
What the hell does "Tea verily" mean?

My bet is hams will do what they do now- they'll surf the net to find reairs
and mods, just like they do with everything else.

So Phil, you think that less than 7,000 of "modern" hams can "trouble-shoot"
an Alpha 87A? Given that the Alpha 87A is a relatively complex amplifier,
certainly a bit more complex than a 30L1,  I would agree that there are very
few hams capable of "trouble-shooting" an 87A. But what does that have to do
with today's hams vs. those of yesteryear? Just how many of yesterday's hams
do you think can troubleshoot and repair a KWM 380? Given what I saw at
Dayton, there are a significant number of old-timers that can't take five
steps without a walker, so I'm assuming that they might have some trouble
with the surface mount compontents in an Alpha 87A.

I think there are very few hams licensed at any time that can repair modern
gear. I would hope that being an intelligent person and one certainly
capable of
seeing the big picture, you weren't bagging on people just because they
aren't as old as you are. My hope is that at some point we'll get to the
point were we judge people on what kind of amateur they are, rather than
when they got their ticket.

73,
Scott, N9AA
ex: WD9IPV, N9AAT and W9AL
First licensed in 1976 at age 14, happy that I'm 43 rather than 63.