Re: [Amps] Alpha 87 Omega

To: "Scott Manthe" <n9aa@arrl.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87 Omega
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 06:37:29 -0700
Hey, watch that about us old guys.  I am just finishing restoration of a
basket case KWM-380, which had multiple holes drilled into the top, a big
chunk missing from the cast aluminum front panel and missing boards plus it
did not work.  I welded the front and top and redrilled holes in the top and
refinished.  Made the missing boards up from scratch, with a different noise
blanker.  Added the factory mods and just finishing up realignment.  So this
is one ham that can repair and troubleshoot a KWM-380 - with no formal
electronics training.

So, yes, there will be hams out there that will repair the 87A - and no
doubt they will have "improvements" along the way.

Half the fun of getting old is fixing the stuff the young bucks think is
beyond fixing.  Or doing things they think is difficult.  Just turned 60 and
started flying helicopters.  Am going to take up golf at 70, when I have
time.  I just bought my motorglider from a Dr. who decided it was time to
move on at 89 years.  He actually is sand sailing now and says he can go
faster in his sand sailer than he could in the motorglider so he did not
have time anymore for it.

Colin  K7FM