Re: [Amps] solder vs. High temp.

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] solder vs. High temp.
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:38:52 -0500
Carl,

True silver solder is really a type of brazing with a temperature anywhere
around 1140 Deg F to 1450 Deg F. Under brazing, the filler metal actual starts
to melt into the material it's being used for. Jewlery uses this a lot, and so
does HVAC applications like in air conditioners tubing and coils. Solder does
not melt into the material it's being used on but rather the lead and tin
molecules start to bond to the outter layer of the materials molecules without
mixing. 60/40 lead/tin flux core solder melts around 430 Deg F to bond and 94/4
tin/silver solder melts around 460 Deg F to bond. Again, 96/4 is not a true
silver solder as it's a tin base (it's not a braze). The use of no lead raises
the temperature 30 Deg F. The silver powdered up in it only helps its toughness
and raises its melting point a small bit. To use true silver solder, you have
to use an oxy/acetylene tourch to get the correct heat. Propane wont even get
close without that shot of oxygen.

I knew my welding background would spout out one of these days :)

Best,

Will