Re: [Amps] Another metalwork question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Another metalwork question
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 06:28:38 -0400
Martin,

On bending steel, you use 1/2 the material thickness to figure how much to add
in length. In other words you divide the material thickness in half where there
would be an imaginary center line (its neutral axis) going trough it. Then when
the steel is bent, a radius is formed on this imaginary center line even though
the inside bend is a sharp 90 deg bend. So whatever the distance is around that
small radius in the middle of the steel is the material to be added. Now
aluminum is a different story and there is a formula for it too. What happens
in aluminum, there is a shrinkage on the inside radius and a stretching on the
outside different than steel. For aluminum see the formula and example below;

BA = (0.0078 * T + 0.0174 * R) * No. of deg. in bend

14 Ga = 0.0641"

For 0" radius, 90 Deg bend in aluminum;

(0.0078 * 0.0641 + 0.0174 * 0) * 90

(0.00049998 + 0) * 90 =

0.00049998 * 90 = 0.045" or about 3/64" or for ending pieces of flanges make it
1/16" from bend line to end.

BA = Bend Allowance
R = Radius of bend on the inside, not the neutral axis.
T = Material thickness

I have a pic with this and a drawing if needed I can e-mail it to you. Hope
this helps.

Best,

Will