Re: [Amps] ARD-230A

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ARD-230A
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:12:01 -0700
On Aug 12, 2005, at 8:49 AM, Pete Smith wrote:

> This is a little over-severe.

"This" was what their technician told me, Pete.
-  The Ten Tec Titan also uses 3cx800A7s and fairly high Q parasitic
suppressors.  A Ten Tec Titan - with reportedly c. 20 operating hours -
that I worked on had gold-sputtering in both tubes.  Since the VHF
suppressors in the Titan and the 230A are relatively high Q devices, it
seems reasonable that if the Titan has a history of parasites, the 230A
could also have the malady.
-  From a business point of view, manufacturing an amplifier that
occasionally has a parasite which can damage the amplifier,
necessitating its return for warrant repair is surely a cash flow
nightmare.

cheers