Re: [Amps] Drying out HV transformers / Chokes

To: w8hrq@lemleys.org
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drying out HV transformers / Chokes
From: HAROLD B MANDEL <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:51:22 -0400
Dear Don,

Do you live in a sunny area?  Take the xfmr and put it in over a
"parabolic" reflector made out of cardboard with tinfoil on it,
focusing the sun's energy on the iron, which is sitting on some 2x4's
so the underside is raised.

A day in the sun with this will dry it out well. Get some HV varnish
and goop it up real well after the iron is real warm. Turn it over
and goop it up from the bottom up after the top layer dries some.

A few layers of HV varnish will soak in to the innards with the
core and winding nice and warm.

Hal
W4HBM

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:51:21 -0500 "Don Lemley" <w8hrq@lemleys.org>
writes:

> Hi all,
>
>         Ok, I know this has been covered here before, but is there
> consensus on how to get the moisture out of HV plate transformers
> and
> chokes, so they won't arc on me.  And before everyone jumps in with
> the
> quick
> "just put it in an oven on xxx degrees for yy hours", I am working
> with
> the
> iron from a Broadcast transmitter, specifically, the Gates BC-1G so
> these
> things are 100, 150 lbs each, and my XYL would REALLY not like it if
> tried
> to put them in her fancy oven.  They have been sitting in an
> un-conditioned
> but dry hanger/garage for several years, so I am certain they have
> soaked up
> a good deal of moisture over that time.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
>
>         Don - W8HRQ