Re: [Amps] Alpha releases New Amp 9500

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha releases New Amp 9500
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 05:11:06 -0500
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:15:13 -0400, Bill Coleman wrote:

>Ethernet interfaces were also mentioned. Considering that many
>inexpensive routers and web cameras implement web interfaces
using
>this technique, I'm surprised it hasn't made it into more amateur
>radio devices.

Another "advantage" of Ethernet is lots of birdies through the HF
spectrum. If you're a CW guy, listen around 10.106, 10.120,
14,030, 21.052, 28.015, 50.118, etc. when you have Ethernet
hardware and wiring within close proximity of your antennas. I
don't work much SSB, but when I have, I've heard lots more. There
are a LOT of birdies produced by the hardware that supports
Ethernet -- switches, routers, hubs, etc. Is it possible to buy a
product that doesn't produce this trash?  Let me know when you
find one. Call me collect!

A very smart man, the late Richard Heyser, said, "trying to define
an audio system using one one parameter -- for example, frequency
response -- as a standard, is like trying to write poetry with
only one word in your vocabulary."  Among other things, Dick was
responsible for communications in the space program. When he died,
he was also President-Elect of the Audio Engineering Society.

Let's not key on the SPEED of the interface. Let's look at ALL the
issues associated with interfacing the amplifier to our systems.

BTW -- on my website, you'll find specific advice on measures to
suppress the interference produced by these systems, as well as
RFI to all sorts of equipment when you fire up your KW amp.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/Ferrites-Ham.pdf

Jim Brown  K9YC