Re: [Amps] Alpha releases New Amp 9500

To: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha releases New Amp 9500
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:24:14 -0400
On Sep 16, 2005, at 1:44 PM, David Kirkby wrote:

>> The Alpha 9500 needs to replace the serial port for remote control
>> with
>> USB.
>>
>>     * Very soon PC's won't even have a serial port
>>           o It's called "legacy free", introduced about 2 year ago

"Very soon" is right now. Apple introduced the original iMac in 1998,
and it had no RS-232 ports. That got the USB ball rolling, since the
only way to add peripherals was through USB.

> I have access to a range of *desktop* computers from < 1 year old to
> about 20 years old. The two interfaces they *all* have in common is
> RS-232 and 10-base-T ethernet.

Apple hasn't made a machine since 1999 that has a serial port.
(Although all have built-in Ethernet and have been for some time now)

> Some have USB, but not all do. Some have SCSI, but no all do. Some
> have
> IDE, but not all do.

So, yeah, you may not use an Apple computer, but they are a leading
indicator for the industry. It's been over six years since Apple
shipped a serial port. The other PC makers are just starting to catch
on to this.

USB is a much nicer peripheral interface than RS-232.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901