Re: [Amps] Dedicated 220AC Wiring for Amps..

To: n5ito@davidv.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dedicated 220AC Wiring for Amps..
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps080605@w4zt.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:42:52 -0400
Dave,

Below you said you were running 4 breakers, each 30 amps. Then you said
two of those breakers would be wired with #12 wire.  If your breaker is
going to be a 30 amp breaker, you must, for safety's sake and to meet
NEC, use at least #10 wire. You should NEVER use wire rated less than
the capacity of the breaker.  If you are using #12 wire, the breaker
should never be larger than 20 amps. The length of the run is of no
consideration when it comes to meeting the minimum requirement of the
code. Another two runs of #10 wire six feet long shouldn't be a
significant portion of the total project cost.

If you plan to run QRO at some time in the future, you might want to run
#8 wire from your panel to one of the 240 Volt recepticals. You can
still use the 30 amp breaker but if you needed to increase the current
handling capacity later (to 40 amps), all you would need is to swap the
breaker and perhaps the receptical itself.

Best of luck with your project!

73, Tony W4ZT