Re: [Amps] AC wiring

To: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AC wiring
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:28:04 -0400
Bill Coleman wrote:

>>However, a 220 AC circuit wired with #14  wire should be more than
>>adequate
>>to power an SB-220 (again, I am not suggesting that you do this).
>>

>Why not? #14 circuit is capable of 15 amps. At 220v, this is more
>than 3300 watts. The fuses on the primaries in the SB-220 are, what?
>10 amps each?

My unasked for opinion:

I have a 45' run of #10-3 to feed my Drake L4 220VAC - that's all it
feeds.  At most the plate voltage drops 250 VDC according to the meter
between resting idle and full power out at around 1100W, 2900VDC idle to
2650VDC at full tilt (somewhere around 750mA plate current) with CW key
down- I tested this today.  I doubt i'd be that well off with #12 or #14
wire - even if I could get by with it, i'm enabled to bring something
bigger into the shack if it needs it.  I feel better about it and to me
that's ultimately the most important reason.  I only want to run that
wire once!  Dare to dream but i'd like to have one of Rich's Magic
Godzilla amplifiers some day - ain't gonna feed that with #14-3!.

73 Jason N1SU