Re: [Amps] AC wiring

To: <Gudguyham@aol.com>, <aa4lr@arrl.net>, <amps080605@w4zt.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AC wiring
From: "Mike Schatzberg" <cherokeehillfarm@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:56:05 -0400
Hello Louie:

You are exactly correct in my opinion.

The current rating for any given conductor, has everything to do with the
insulation system which is utilized.  The codes do not recognize what
appliances or electronic devices will be fed by the branch circuits.  If the
insulation system is polyethylene, and is rated at 60 degrees C., then the
current maximum required to keep the conductor system well below that
temperature is given as the rating.

That is to say for example, that in aircraft and spacecraft applications,
where weight is at a premium, much smaller conductors carry very high
currents.  This is accomplished by using expensive flouropolymer insulation
systems (teflon), with very thin insulation wall thicknesses, with
temperature ratings as high as 260 degrees C, utilizing nickel plated copper
conductors or copper alloys, to avoid oxidation and corrosion at those
higher operating temperatures.  Some circuits may be rated at only 150
degrees C., if they contain tin plated copper wires.  The silver plated
conductors used extensively in fighter aircraft are rated at 200 degrees C.

Conductors which have no insulation system at all, such as buss bar types,
generally run quite warm also.

Start up transient currents have little to do with raising the temperature
of the conductor system.

As stated here before, it is the length of the conductor, and its associated
IR drop, which will determine whether the device being fed operate within
its own electrical parameters.  These parameters are the general normal
operating current demands expected for the given load.

We often see the initial sag in  voltage from the current inrush, due in
part because the conductors are sized for the normal operation of the
device, rather than for the brief high current transient load.  We must
choose our fusing carefully, slow blow, fast blow, delayed, etc., to provide
the appropriate device protection.

If an amplifier requires 20 amperes or less at full output during key down
on CW, and is fed with 12 AWG Copper, with a reasonably short branch circuit
run, the same amplifier on SSB would probably not see very much benefit
while producing 1.5 KW PEP if switched to a 10 AWG circuit, if any benefit
at all.  Some slight improvement might be found if the same amplifier was
tested to determine the maximum possible PEP output, but I believe the
difference would be so small, that it could never be detected as a stronger
signal at the receiving end.

73 and Happy Dxing,

Mike
WB2AJI