Re: [Amps] AC wiring

To: r@somis.org, jsb@digistar.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AC wiring
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:54:08 EDT

In a message dated 10/19/2005 5:40:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
r@somis.org writes:

Seems  like even 12 amps on a #14 circuit is too much?  I get a little
>  puckery thinking about running 12A for hours on  #14.

Unless you are running digital mores at full legal limit, an amp running  SSB
or CW will not heat up a #12 wire to any significant temp.  You must  realize
that the NEC is very clear about wire rating and "continuous  loads".  Many
factors come into play.  The type of wire used.   For example #14 wire THHN in
conduit can carry MORE than the 15 amps we have  been talking about here
lately.

While we are the subject of NEC....most hams probably are not familiar with
Article 800 which sets down some pretty definite rules regarding Amateur radio
 wire antennas and grounding of such antennas.  You might be surprised that
you are in violation ot the NEC with your present "dipole".   Yes,  there are
NEC rules that govern us too.