Re: [Amps] AC wiring

Subject: Re: [Amps] AC wiring
From: Jason Buchanan <jsb@digistar.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:39:19 -0400
Gudguyham@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/19/2005 5:40:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> r@somis.org writes:
>
>     Seems like even 12 amps on a #14 circuit is too much?  I get a little
>     > puckery thinking about running 12A for hours on #14.
>     >

> Unless you are running digital mores at full legal limit, an amp
> running SSB or CW will not heat up a #12 wire to any significant temp.

That's the kind of operation I run half the time i'm on the air, using
an AOR 9800 on 20 meters for a number of minutes at a time depending on
how talkative I am.  The rest of the time i'm operating CW somewhere.
Granted, I could probably get by using #14 wire for the job but the
difference in price for #14 and #10 is inconsequential in comparison to
the negative benefits of smaller gauge wire - in my honest opinion.
Wire is cheap, peace of mind is expensive.

Besides, 10 gauge wire is much more fun to wrestle with (reminds me of
wrought iron). hi

73 Jason N1SU