Re: [Amps] Meaning of "conduction cooled"

To: craxd1@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Meaning of "conduction cooled"
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:49:20 +0000
Will Matney wrote:
> Bill,
>
> One thing about conduction cooled tubes to me is that there is a hot spot at
> 180 degrees from where it mounts to the heatsink. A convection cooled tube
> with heat fins has cool air passing over these fins 360 degrees around the
> circumferance. I'm not sure if any tests have been done, but this may lead to
> the conduction tube failing before the convection one, I don't know.
>
> Best,
>
> Will

I had a few email exchanges with Reid at Eimac about CC tubes.
Apparently they do run a lot warmer (typically) and so their life is
shorter than air-cooled tubes. The manufacturing cost is higher - much
of that due to the waste disposal problem of the BeO that is used is
carcegogenic. So all this adds to their cost and relative unpopularity.

Here is a data sheet on pretty big CC tube with an anode dissipation of
1 kW. I'm not aware of any bigger ones.

http://www.g8wrb.org/data/Eimac/Y-477.pdf

It's a special version of the 4CX1500B.

There are other conduction cooled tube data sheets at

http://www.g8wrb.org/tetrodes.shtml (tetrodes)

and

http://www.g8wrb.org/triodes.shtml (triodes).

> On 11/3/05 at 1:26 PM Bill Fuqua wrote:
>

>>If a tube is convection, conduction, radiation, liquid or vapor phase
>>cooled has to do with how heat ,produced by the kinetic energy from
>>colliding electrons, is removed from the anode.  From there it may pass
>
>>from one place to another until ultimately dissipated into the environment
>
>>by all sort of heat transfer mechanisms.  There are some very minor points
>>about this that can be argued, such as,  in the case of the convection
>>cooled tubes or even the radiation cooled tubes where there is thermal
>>conduction from the side of the anode where the electrons collide to the
>>surface where it is dissipated. But that is a very minor point  except to
>>the nitpicking purest.
>>
>>73
>>Bill wa4lav

David Kirkby,