Re: [Amps] Grounded Screen 4CX1500B

To: Ian White GM3SEK <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grounded Screen 4CX1500B
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 02:59:59 -0800
On Nov 7, 2005, at 11:43 PM, Ian White G/GM3SEK wrote:

> Shawn Tayler wrote:
>>
>> I had totally missed that.  The input circuits were right next to the
>> grid circuit and I had simply assumed.  Well how about that.  Hmmm,
>> very interesting.  Kinda burst the bubble for me.  I must be blind and
>> deaf.....
>>
> The problem is that everything about the 30S-1 is more weird than you
> think it's going to be.

Amen, Ian.  However, the 30S-1 is the only amplifier that is apparently
parasite-free.  This may have something to do with the fact that its a
G-G amplifier with Two RF-grounded grids shielding the input from the
output.

> It's a fascinating design, full of complexities caused by the decision
> to cathode-drive a tetrode. You have to wonder why they didn't use
> grid-driven, passive grid - or hadn't that been invented at the time?

Collins engineer Vern Baumgartner, W6HW, told me that Art Collins
wanted a SSB linear that would not be driven to more than 1000w by the
S-Line.  A tetrode in AB1, cathode-driven was one solution.