Re: [Amps] transformer talk

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] transformer talk
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 14:39:50 +0000

Partain, Chuck wrote:
> I have a few questions, I'm yet to fully understand all that needs to be
> known and never will for that matter but!
>
> In the design of HV transformers, what's the difference between
> designing a transformer for use
> With a capacitor filter and a choke filter?

Allowances for much higher peak current with capacitor input - the high
peaks result in higher rms current, which is the value you need to use
when looking at the heating effects. Many people use (sqrt2)*dc current,
which is likely predict heating effects around 1/3 of real.  You can
play with examples and see the effects with the Duncan Amps PSU freeware
designer prog.

In my experience, transformer winders don't fully appreciate the
consequences of capacitor input peak currents, and the 'standard'
figures they use usually underestimate the heating effects.

Steve