Re: [Amps] rolling your own

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] rolling your own
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:28:36 +0100

Partain, Chuck wrote:
> I know the copper tubing is a bit easier but home depot only had the 1/4"
> and that is a bit too big for my application, I'm trying to size things down
>
> the dowel with a hole sounds like the way then put it on a lathe..
Another way to try is to secure one end of the wire in a sturdy vice,
put the other end through the hole in your former, lean against the wire
with your body weight to get some tension, the roll the former in your
hands to wind the wire while using your weight to keep the tension. I've
used this up to 4.5mm (3/16") dia. wire, but it needs to be soft.

Steve