Re: [Amps] adding second tube to AL1200

To: vic@rakefet.com, n9iww@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] adding second tube to AL1200
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 18:24:39 EDT

In a message dated 5/17/2006 4:23:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
vic@rakefet.com writes:

Off the  top of my head, you would probably need an outboard power
supply, since  it's doubtful that a larger transformer would fit.  Then
you'd need  to change the input network components for half the
impedance, and  likewise the output pi-network.  You might not have
sufficient range  in tuning/loading capacitors for the low bands for a
reasonable Q.   Of course, Ameritron is known for borderline tank
inductors, so you might  have to replace the coils with ones made of
larger wire or tubing to  handle the RF current.  And you'll need a
bigger filament  transformer.  Probably you'd have to modify the metering
circuits.  Hmm, let's see, did I forget anything?  Oh yes, the  blower
capacity will be inadequate.

Why don't you just build a new  one?

I agree 100% Vic.......not a good idea at all.  73 Louie  W1QJ