Re: [Amps] adding second tube to AL1200

To: n9iww@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] adding second tube to AL1200
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 13:22:21 -0700
Kevin Adam wrote:
> Wanted information on adding a second tube to AL 1200 has anyone done
> this if so can you give the details as to what all is envoled what
> parts you had to change if any please help

Off the top of my head, you would probably need an outboard power
supply, since it's doubtful that a larger transformer would fit.  Then
you'd need to change the input network components for half the
impedance, and likewise the output pi-network.  You might not have
sufficient range in tuning/loading capacitors for the low bands for a
reasonable Q.  Of course, Ameritron is known for borderline tank
inductors, so you might have to replace the coils with ones made of
larger wire or tubing to handle the RF current.  And you'll need a
bigger filament transformer.  Probably you'd have to modify the metering
circuits.  Hmm, let's see, did I forget anything?  Oh yes, the blower
capacity will be inadequate.

Why don't you just build a new one?
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA