Re: [Amps] Alpha 91b fan/blower motor

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 91b fan/blower motor
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 11:50:10 -0400
Ian,

Correct, The speed of the air over the tube fins (or body of a glass tube) is
what cools as it takes the heat away. The faster you do this, the cooler the
object is. You have to have a certain amount of pressure though to force the
air through the socket and tube fins. That's why most use a blower if they're
going to feed it into the under-chassis space and out through the tube. In
other words, the blower has to create enough pressure in the chassis so it will
seek the lower pressure easily. A regular fan wont do this and can't be used in
this respect as it cant create the pressure needed to do it. However, some have
used a large fan mounted directly under the tube and socket to blow air through
it. Of course they're not trying to pressurize a whole chassis and have the
opening at a 90 degree angle to the outlet either. I'm still a little skeptical
about this way myself though and don't trust it enough to cool an expensive
tube. What I've seen though is blowers that are rated
  at around 2800 RPM to 3600 RPM used for this application and he's got one
slower which I know won't cool the tubes as good. Without Alpha telling him the
motor size, I'm not for sure how he can match it to what they had. About the
only way is do these tests and see if they match published specs for flow and
pressure for the tubes he has. The bag test I had forgot about, but will work.

Best,

Will