Re: [Amps] Series PC Power Supplies

To: "'Jim Tonne'" <tonne@comcast.net>, <craxd1@verizon.net>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Series PC Power Supplies
From: "Harold Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 16:12:09 -0400
"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" (HIHI)
(As Dan Ackroyd says in Ghostbusters).

D.C. Power supplies may be paralleled if there are
no problems with approaching the total limit of the combined
ampacities. The internal resistance of the charging circuit
presents some hurdles when putting rectifier units in series.

However, in regulated circumstances where the output voltage of
a combined bank of rectifiers must present a controlled voltage
within hundredths of a volt, (e.g., charging VRLA cells), the rectifiers
all have a "rectifier sharing" circuit that controls the output of each
unit individually by providing a reference voltage in a buss.

The best solution is to get a power supply at the desired voltage
because when putting the individual units in series the regulators
may become out-of-whack as components age with heat, and that may
lead to a catastrophic and/or cascaded failure that wipes out all the
supplies.

Paralleled supplies to develop better ampacity in a
not-too-strictly-regulated
load environment just require D.C. output cabling heavy enough to balance
the
load and to overcome the minute amount of D.C. resistance in the cables
(voltage-drop).

I found that when paralleling two Astron 75's better results were achieved
when
using 2/0AWG WELD type cable with crimped lugs, the Positive lead going to
one power supply and the Negative lead going to the other power supply with
2/0AWG jumpers tying the two supplies together at their outputs. There was
actually a difference in performance when trying the connections any other
way.

Hal
W4HBM