Re: [Amps] Series PC Power Supplies

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Series PC Power Supplies
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 23:31:28 -0400
Jim,

I think what he's getting at is this. The power supplies to be seriesed are
calculated to provide a certain set operating voltage at a certain set current.
Together these seriesed supplies total the amount needed. The load requires
this set amount of voltage and current to operate properly. Ok, if one supply
fails in the string, there is a voltage drop. This voltage drop creates a
current rise from the remaining supplies feeding the same load. If this current
rating is over the maximum rating they are designed for, which most likely it
will be because we sized it to use the number being used, it can make the other
two fail, IE current trips, etc. Worse yet, if there's not good over-current
protection, then you start having pass transistors to fail, etc, and have a
catastrophic failure of the complete system. Most regular power supplies that
are used generally have just a regulated voltage system, and don't even have
current limiting. The ones that do are generally the upper e
 nd supplies with adjustable current, or having current sensing which in turn
controls the pass transistors. If they would use FET's as the pass device a
person would be better off, but most still use transistors which can go into
thermal run-away, etc.. Most now only use an IC to compare the output voltage
and run a driver transistor which in turn drives the pass regulator(s). A few
may have a current sensing circuit, but again that costs more and a lot of
manufacturers don't use it. This being the regulated supplies like Astron,
Pyramid, and several others without adjustable current. About the only safety
precaution they have is over-voltage pretection by a crowbar circuit. Switching
supplies on the other hand are different, but can burn out too. I am still
leary of switching supplies due to all the parts involved just giving one an
extra excuse to fail. Switching supplies, I think, should be limited to weight
limited applications. The less parts one uses to do a job correc
 tly, the less chance it has to fail. The simplest type of supplies are the
transformer-rectifier-pass regulator type. One can build a good regulated
series pass circuit using two small transistors, a large pass transistor (up to
10 amps), and a zener diode. The regulator IC's really only take the place of
the sensing transistor/comparator and the zener diode unless it has a current
function which a lot don't. However, when seriesing or paralelling several
supplies, you still have to worry about the lead and lag or each regulator
circuit to the other in time. This being eaches reaction time to the current
change from the load. Then you get into trying to build an outside circuit to
try and get each supply to react equally with the changing current. That is a
hard thing to do which is discussed in detail in the one book I mentioned, and
a few others. One would think that small amount of lead and lag wouldn't amount
to much, but let's remember what happens with surge current in
  capacitors for only part of a 1/2 cycle. It would be almost totally
impossible to build two or three exact matching power supplies with exact
matching characteristics and reaction times. The most one can do to try and get
by is use the diodes, but there are some other ways that are way more
complicated and expensive to do. Then, your better off to buy one supply to do
the whole thing anyhow.

Best,

Will