Re: [Amps] teeny copper strap

To: "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] teeny copper strap
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 02:04:15 -0700
On Jun 9, 2006, at 3:16 PM, Roy Koeppe wrote:

> Concerning,
>
> " ...is there any non-radio source of appropriate stuff for
> grounding my
> SB-220 grids?...(etc.)"
>

> Sorry, but I have to bring this up. It seems to me what's good for the
> goose is good for the gander. If low Q parasitic suppressors are
> advantageous for their purpose, then grid straps would be also.

So it would seem, Roy.  In my SB-220, using a dip-meter, I madea
before and after resonance f comparison between direct-grounding the
grid pins and grounding them with caps.  Not only was the difference
in f only c. 1.3%, which seems pretty insignificant, with the csps
the f was higher, which should mean better VHF stability.

> Wide
> straps with low inductance

According to Fred Terman, L  is a logarithmic function of width, so a
conductor that is twice as wide as another has only slightly less L.

> but not with high Q should tame the grid
> resonances at least slightly. Comes to mind, wide sized "solder wick"
> fully saturated with solder to form a non-stranded, solder-coated
> handy
> strap. Easy to obtain as well. It loves to be soldered. And then there
> are tin cans to be snipped into strips??

Since tin exhibits moderate VHF-Q, it seems like grounding the the
grid through 3 chip-resistors might be better.

If you make the mod, it would be interesting to see what you see with
a dip-meter.

> 73,    Roy     K6XK

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734
r@somis.org