Re: [Amps] SELL: Ameritron AL1200 Contestor's Amplifier

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SELL: Ameritron AL1200 Contestor's Amplifier
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 19:10:52 -0700
On Jun 24, 2006, at 10:18 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> Rich writes:
>
>>   P = I x E comes pretty close.
>
> That's fine but as I said: "I don't have the constant current curves"
> which means I do not have any way to determine the peak (or even
> average through the full RF cycle) cathode to grid voltage in the
> 3CX1200A7.
>
> Your "smart" replies do not add any thing of substance to the
> technical discussion and only enhance your reputation as an
> egotistical bully.  It's a real shame you have never learned to
> contribute in a civilized and technically supportable manner.
> You seem to have something to contribute but it gets lost in the
> smoke, hand waving, and put downs.

According to what I read in Care and Feeding ... ..., average grid-
dissipation is approximately = to average grid/cath.-V multiplied by
average (meter-indicated) grid-I.  I presume that average grid-cath,-
V is 0.639 x the peak grid-cath. potential in typical operation.
IOW, P = I x E is close.

   Since the rated avg. grid dissipation is 50w max, and, from the
characteristic-curves, the grid-cath-potential is roughly 110v-pk x
0.639, or 70v-avg in typical operation,  I-max  is  50w / 70v = 0.71,
so .71A  will produce a grid-diss. of c. 50w in typical operation.

cheers, Joe, and I plead guilty to not being civilized.

> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734
r@somis.org