Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:46:37 -0400
Mike,

I was at the Kentucky licensure website several years back, and you could
download the whole state law on this. I did and read it through. It said that
if you designed any equipment for the public that was electrical, you were
supposed to carry a valid engineers license in that state. To be a PE there,
you had to have a 4 year BSc degree in the field, then work for two more years
under a licensed PE as an EIT to be allowed to take the test. If you then could
pass the test, you were granted your license. I then e-mailed the director
about what I had read and asked what all was included under design. He wrote
back and told me it meant everything, and that designing anything without a
license was breaking the law. He also mentioned that even using the term
engineer with your name was considered illegal. I don't have the link to the
website, but you can look this all up there if they haven't changed it. The
director does answer the e-mails also.

Now the way a lot of companies get around this is hiring ones without a license
and placing them under a licensed engineer as a "designer" or "draftsman".
They'll have like a VP of Engineering who is licensed, and will view over any
drawing before they hit the shop, or any materials purchased. That's the way I
worked at both places as I never wanted to get a license over law suits. Belive
me, my boss was tied up in every one they had and it was several at a time
where it was mining related. You have people out there who are just waiting to
say they got hurt off a piece of equipment to file a law suit. I helped bust
one of these by designing and building a full scale model of a drill arm with
wood. The guy suing was required to show how it happened in court, and his butt
couldn't hit the lever that he claimed caused his hand to be mashed. The man
was found to have done this his self! After it got out, two other employees
stepped forward and verified what the guy done.

Another way around this if you own a business is to have an EE or ME look at
all the prints, ok the design, and stamp it. That relieves you of any
liability. I did this when I ran the shop I had as I was building equipment for
the railroads and the coal mines. I had friends doing both, and I paid them for
their professional services.

I think the state licensure boards turn a blind eye to a lot unless someone
reports something or your a large corporation. Then, if they do, you better
have all your ducks in a row, or one could be looking at both fines and jail
time. If you get a chance, drop by that website, or e-mail the director. He can
enlighten you more really than the law that is written as he knows how the
courts interpret it.

Best,

Will