Re: [Amps] Rich is a good guy

To: "'R L Measures'" <r@somis.org>,"'David Kirkby'" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Rich is a good guy
From: "Administrator" <amps@myrealbox.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 12:02:44 -0400

> One thing that would cause me to unsubscribe is if moderator refuses
> to allow NFB on information that is not supported by Ohm's law.

If you have PROOF, that's one thing but constantly demanding that
others provide the proof, calling their statements "manure," or
addressing other posters as if they were novices will not be
tolerated.  If you do not agree with W8JI's manual for the AL-80
it is up to you to prove that it is wrong.  If you believe the
3-500Z cannot handle 550 mA for short peaks, put one in a properly
constructed and instrumented test fixture and prove it.  Otherwise,
accept that "Eimac had no problem at all with the manual telling
people they could TUNE to 550mA, and then back drive off until
400mA is reached."

If you can, show that the tube cannot achieve 550 mA of plate
current due to cathode starvation.  Show that when tuned for
550 mA of peak plate current and driven for 400 mA the IMD is
unacceptable.  Prove that the operation is not consistent with
good practice but do not attack the messenger.

Manufacturer's spec sheets are guidelines for operation and their
maximum ratings ALWAYS contain a safety factor.  Anyone who will
design or operate a device will "all parameters at maximum" is a
fool but "typical operating conditions" are just that - "typical."

I have run broadcast transmitters outside the tube manufacturer's
"spec sheet" many times and been completely legal.  In several
instances the new parameters became standard practice for the
industry and were blessed by the tube manufacturer even though
the spec sheets NEVER reflected the practice.

73,

   ... Administrator
       amps@contesting.com