Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such

To: g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <kgrimm@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 07:23:17 -0400
Peter Chadwick wrote:
> (a bunch of technical stuff in reply to Tom snipped)
> Slightly off topic, I never understood where the 572B came from for linear
> service. It seemed to appear in the 1950's: I sort of assume as a bigger
> modulator tube, being a pair of 811A, but that seems a bit late in the day
> for a purely audio tube. If designed as an RF tube, it surely would have been
> given a better structure?
> 73
> Peter G3RZP
As I recall, it was an attempt to fill a gap between the bigger and more
expensive Eimac offerings and the 811A offered by everyone.  Also, if I
remember correctly, it was specifically created as an amateur service
tube as was the 3-1000Z.  Interestingly enough, the 572B is still with
us, but the 3-1000Z, with its much more elegant structure, is long
gone.  Sometimes the engineers get it right, but the bean counters get
it righter.   :-)

Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr