Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:43:48 -0400
Timothy,

Not under Kentucky law. If the PE does stamp the drawings, he must run the
numbers also to determine if the design will work and be safe. He simply cant
stamp the drawing not doing any calculations. That's also the same in West
Virginia if a draftsman does the design and the engineer in charge approves it.
Happens every day. If you didn't have this, an engineer would not be able to
sub-contract draftsman firms if they did not do it themselves. I've personally
seen some engineers that couldn't draw themselves out of a wet paper bag, and
had to have the draftsman to do it. In each case with me, I tuned over the
calculations and the engineer re-did and checked each. It's the same as
sub-contracting an engineer in charge I would think. In other words, you don't
have to have them in your employee.

In Kentucky, I was told by the director, and is in the statute, that even
though you have a 4 year degree in that field, you are still not allowed to
call yourself an engineer without having been licensed. They consider it a
crime if you do. That statute holds true here in Ohio as I read it, and I would
say West Virginia, but haven't read it. I'm not sure what state you live in,
but here it's way different according to what I've been told and personally
read.

No, the director made it plain that ANY design work in Kenticky was to be
handled by an engineer and supposed to be a PE. If it were a home or building,
then an architect handled it. I wish I had saved that e-mail as it opened my
eyes to a lot. I asked the question point blank, "you mean that though I have
my degree, I cant call my self an engineer"? His words were "no". The reason I
asked was, I thought about moving back to Kentucky at the time. Your also not
allowed to advertize or have the word engineer associated with your name. The
way they see it is if anything could possibly cause harm or be unsafe, and is
manufactured to be sold to the public, it has to be through a PE's approval.
Like Bill said, they turn their head to a lot and don't investagate until
someone makes a complaint.

I agree that some of the best aren't licensed, but do work under a PE. That's
the way I worked at two different jobs making mining machinery, trailers, and
concrete forms. Everything I done went across the PE's desk. If there was a
problem, I had to change it, but that never happened. If any stress or strain
calcs were done, I actually did them and left them on the drawing in some
cases. At my last job, I was over the mechanical, electrical, and hydraulics on
a complete system/job. Plus was over the maintenance department as a boss. You
talk about not having time to wind your watch, that was it.

Best,

Will