Re: [Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A

To: "W.F van Wyk" <zs6arf@telkomsa.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 08:06:48 -0700
W. F. --- With its max peak emission of 1.3a and a 4500v anode supply
using g-g config., my guess is that a 4-250A has enough stuff to do
1000w-out PEP in SSB service provided that it is tuned up with a
tuning pulser - or 50wpm dits, and the operator does not speak too
loudly into the mic.

On Jul 1, 2006, at 6:15 AM, W.F van Wyk wrote:

> I have been hearing claims at the local flea markets here in South
> Africa
> that a single 4-250A valve is capable of between 800 - 900 watts in
> ham band
> amplifier application.
>

> Now I have used these myself in a number of homebrew amplifiers,
> and never
> have I even come close to that type of output from a single 4-250A.
>

> Have I missed something in my amplifier education or is this High
> Grade
> Fertilizer which I currently believe it is.
>

> The local experts claiming this indicate voltages on the plate in
> the region
> of 5,000 Volts and get a blank look when I enquire about IMD and
> splatter.
>

> Now I am aware on the specification sheets for this valve RF power
> above 800
> watts are indicated under certain conditions but I still have to
> see that
> put into practice in a Ham amplifier say for normal HF band usage.
>

> Please steer me in the right direction here.
>

> Thank You
>

> Wynand van Wyk (ZS6ARF)

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734
r@somis.org