Re: [Amps] Fw: "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fw: "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:38:20 -0400
Exactly!!!!!

That's the reason that if the grid is open, or floating, the tube turns into a
diode and has no control of the electron flow. In effect, like you say, it
would run away and eventually burn up. Way back when I first got into this, I
said I never seen a problem with a grid fuse as long as the anode voltage was
killed as soon as the fuse blew. One would never want to continue broadcasting
after this condition happened. Since most amps monitor grid current, and plate
voltage / current, it would be quickly seen on the meters if it happened. A
trip could even be used to quash the B+ if this happened simply by watching the
anode current. If it got too high, just kill the B+.

I've not seen the Valvo article, but it would be a good read, and I'd
personally like to see it.

Thanks again,

Will