[Amps] PIN diode mods

To: "Peter Voelpel" <df3kv@t-online.de>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] PIN diode mods
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:33:56 -0400
> It's the same as swapping switching diodes in transceivers
> to pin-diodes
> without checking/correcting their current.
> Thousands did.
> Every day another fool awakes, one just hast to find
> him...

You know Peter, that is a good example of voodoo
pathological science.

I spent quite a bit of time investigating PIN diodes vs.
regular diodes in my rigs and found absolutely no difference
at all. Yet people who do the mods will swear they work.

Look at Sherwood Engineering's site at a PIN modified ICOM
781. Click here and find the "Sherwood's tests" link at the
page top:
http://www.w8ji.com/receivers.htm

The modified 781 is 6dB worse for close spaced IM3.

The best any of my tests did on a couple FT1000's was break
even, yet people swear it makes a huge difference.

Amplifiers are no different.

73 Tom