Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:01:26 +0100

>>> Early 1991.
>>
>> Sorry, I think I didn't make myself clear. When did Eimac change their
>> recipe?
>>
> I don't know.  However, probably around the time that the 15E came out.
Isn't that about 25 years before 3-500Z was introduced?

In the 40s they were making lots of devices running high power at high
VHF/low UHF so they must have had good enough glass. I think 3-500Z was
introduced in the late 60s - their knowledge of glass for tubes rated at
110MHz was well established by then.

If they had invented glass clever enough to be ok at 30-50MHz but melt
in fields at 100odd MHz, I imagine they would have patented it. In fact
it sounds like it would be a good way to damp out parasitics.

I can see an oscillation causing very high dissipation, and insufficient
cooling then leading to problems, but magic glass - no. As always, I'm
wide open to correction.

Anyone got any experience of what it takes to melt a 3-500Z?

Steve