Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps

To: "'mike kendall'" <ke6cvh@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 02:11:38 -0500

> Read about the Ameritron
> QSK5 on eham.net reviews, another item that has a
>  reputation of breaking transceivers simply because they won't provide
> good interface instructions on some of the rigs.....I was thinking to buy
> one of those to fix the ALS-600 hotswitching problem and now would be
> reeeaaally carefull it doesn't finish my Icom off the rest of the way.
Mike,
I have used my Ameritron QSK-5 for several years with my Icom 706MKII and my
Henry SS-750 solid state amp; both mobile and here in the shack. They have
performed flawlessly. If I ever buy another radio or amp, the QSK-5 will be
used with them also. It should last me a lifetime.

When I installed it for the first time, I called Ameritron Tech Support, and
the nice guy walked me through the hook-up process with the Icom and Henry.
I documented this in the QSK-5 manual for future reference.

I am not a fan of the amps made by Ameritron/MFJ, nor the tuners. The QSK-5
is a real winner, nicely made. The fan kit is a good investment if you are
running mobile in Texas in the summer time.

Someone mentioned that they were going to use a Gigavac DPDT relay to mod
their amp. There aren't any double-pole vacuum relays out there that are
fast enough for QSK use. See Rich Measures web site on how to properly
install the relays. All you need is a RJ-1A (SPDT)or equivalent, and a reed
relay for the input switching. Rich has furnished all the part numbers in
his article.

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC