Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps

To: mike kendall <ke6cvh@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron Amps
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:10:57 -0700
On Jul 31, 2006, at 6:46 AM, mike kendall wrote:

> Rich,
>   I wish my buddy's Ameritron and my own first Ameritron had caps
> that were working until we were 6ft under.  In my buddy's case, the
> caps failed 4 times before the factory got it working again before
> failing quickly.

chortle. El Cheapo caps with lots of ESR, operating at the ragged
edge with normal mains V can probably be expected to buried with the
operator, or even before. Also, operating electrolytics even slightly
above the rated WV is probably not a good idea. Another problem is
excessive mains potential.  Example -- I've seen 257vac here on some
mornings on So Cal Edison's own recording VM.

Editorial ===  As I see it, Hams would be quite likely to pay
slightly more for an HF amplifier that did not use the cheapest parts
available on this planet.

cheers, Mike