Re: [Amps] Glass melting, f, and D-factor

To: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Glass melting, f, and D-factor
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 04:34:18 -0700
On Jul 31, 2006, at 10:16 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:

> R L Measures wrote:
>> It was previously stated by another denizen that the glass in early
>> Chinese 3-500Zs was melting on the sides, however, according to my
>> notes from Rus Healy, in this case, the glass reportedly softened on
>> the top in an area a couple of cm from the anode stem, a small bubble
>> formed, began expanding inward from atmospheric pressure, and popped.
>> end
> For clarity - what Rus reported happened to what model of tube made
> by who?

A 3-500Z prototype made by Paul Hrivnak in Canada.

> Did Rus see it himself?

   Paul telephoned Russ at Newington and described the bubbling
phenomenon.
Since Russ owned an amplifier that had been damaged in a strange way
by VHF parasitics, he told Paul that this might be the cause.
Subsequently, Russ telephoned me and described what had happened to
the glass.  A few momths later we, discussed the event at length over
pizza in Camarillo, CA.

> Was it a one off or reliably repeatable?

It apparently happened in a prototype amplifier. My guess is that the
Chinese quickly realized the problem with lead-fluxed glass at VHF
and switched to a borosilicate glass.

> Thanks,
>
> Steve

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734