Re: [Amps] Hercules II power supply

To: "m.ford" <k1ern@pioneerwireless.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hercules II power supply
From: larryw6lar <larryw6lar@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 12:55:10 -0700
m.ford wrote:

>Hello Vic
>
>    I just sold my Hercules II this week. I last ran it on a single
>Astron RS-70. Under heavy load , which in my opinion is anything
>over 50 amps, the ripple becomes so high that the filter cap gets
>rather warm. At 70 amps the pc board mounted on top of the filter
>cap starts to smell.
>
>    The amp ran real nice on various battery setups for many years.
>A car battery makes a real nice ripple filter.
>
>Mike  k1ern

I have a Hercules II that was not being used and I thought it might be
good to install it in my new travel trailer to go along with my portable
HF station. I have one power converter that is for the travel trailer,
80 amp. I bought a second Progressive Dynamics PD9280 just for running
the Hercules. Found it on e-bay for only $165, new. So far its doing a
bang up job. Its very compact and light weight as it is a switcher.
Seems good and quiet too. The amp seems happy just like me.

Larry   W6LAR