Re: [Amps] Hercules II power supply

To: "'Vic K2VCO'" <vic@rakefet.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hercules II power supply
From: "Harold Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 17:10:24 -0400
The Astron line has a suffix on their part numbers, "BB,"
which refers to Battery Backup.

The battery backup feature allows the user to attach a flooded or
VRLA (gel) cell to the output and while the power supply is
not under operating load it will keep the battery plant
charged at the point where the final charge voltage is just
a few hundredths of a volt higher than the reference voltage of
the battery cells. This feature prevents these cells from overheating the
dielectric medium, generating excess hydrogen (in VRLA's) and possibly
cracking cases and leaking caustic materials.

Even auto batteries will boil out if the charge voltage exceeds the battery
reference voltage, and that's why these type cells need regular topping
up with distilled water.

  Hal