Re: [Amps] grid resonance

To: "Vic K2VCO" <vic@rakefet.com>,"Amps reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] grid resonance
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 05:43:48 -0400
> Tom W8JI wrote:
>> A mobile whip loaded with a coil is a series resonant
>> system.
>>
>> Are you saying a GDO will not dip on a mobile whip Bill?
>
> The bottom of the coil is connected to the chassis through
> the low
> impedance of the feed system.  The vertical radiator has
> capacitance to
> the chassis (of course it has inductance, too).  Sounds
> parallel to me!

So the loading coil is like a trap, and the coax sees an
open circuit?

The idea a GDO can sort "good resonances" that make low
impedances from "bad resonances" that make high impedances
seems pretty strange to me. Can you tell me how it does
that, rather than just  finding some type of  resonance at
the point where it is inserted? My meter largely sits
unused. I hadn't turned it on in many years.

Is there a way to measure impedance and Q with it Vic?

73 Tom