Re: [Amps] Tuned Input - IMD and efficiency

To: "'k7rdx'" <k7rdx@charter.net>,"'Steve Thompson'" <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tuned Input - IMD and efficiency
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:33:45 -0500
> Handbooks recommended this method to help tame the larger glass
> tubes.And,BTW,I didn`t use nichrome,just good old silver plated
> copper..Jim,

Years ago, Eimac-Varian manufactured large RF generators for industrial use.
I was able to purchase a supply of the Eimac in-house parasitic suppressors
that they used on their 4-1000A generators. I had grown tired of using the
puny wire and 2 watt resistor suppressors shown on many of the 4X1 amp
projects of the day, having over-heating problems on the higher bands.

The "stock" Eimac suppressor for the 4-1000A consisted of 2 turns of 7/32
inch silver plated copper tubing 1 inch long and 1.25 inches in diameter,
mounted around a 120 ohm 25 watt Globar resistor. Needless to say, this
brute is good for a 10 meter RTTY contest at full suds. I have used these
suppressors on several 4X1 projects over a period of 25 years, and they are
still as new after much abuse. I have often wondered why Eimac did not
market these suppressors, along with the anode caps and chimneys for the
4X1?

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC