Re: [Amps] Checking for IMD

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Checking for IMD
From: Mark Hill <g4fph@mjha.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 18:41:09 +0100
Folks,

I have been meaning to try such an idea out for a while as a Friday
night (less than four hours build time!) project.

I have a Racal 100mW drive source that I can set to CW and pad down
to drive an SBL-1 as the mixer.  SpectrumLab running on one PC will
generate the two or three tones required.  WaveSpectra or some such
FFT program (any other suggestions?) should give a display on the other.

I wonder if useful results will be forthcoming?  We shall see...

Regards.

Mark.

At 15:59 11/08/2006, Bill Fuqua wrote:
>An oscillator, good mixer and a sound card running FFT should work. You
>want to mix the RF down to around 10 kHz ( center of the sound card
>frequency range) and observe sidebands around it.
>
>You can use a sound card to also produce the two tone test signal to insert
>into the SSB exciter.
>
>73
>Bill wa4lav
>

>At 10:43 AM 8/11/2006 -0400, Martin AA6E wrote:
> >Bill,
> >
> >I've wondered about this, too.  The lab method is to use a high-priced
> >spectrum analyzer, but couldn't you do something useful with a soundcard
> >based spectrum analyzer?  You would need to have a linear detector and a
> >two-tone audio source.  This would be similar to the IMD measurement you
> >get with a PSK31 monitor.  The trouble is you need pretty good dynamic
> >range to measure a healthy system.
> >
> >You could check the boxes being sold by www.cleanrf.com as described in
> >the latest CQ.  They let you look at "linearity" on a scope.  My take is
> >that you will only catch gross non-linearity (overdrive), but you
> >wouldn't get quantitative IMD numbers with this approach.
> >
> >73 Martin AA6E
> >
> >Bill Turner wrote:
> > > Is there a simple procedure one can use for checking the IMD of an
> > > amplifier? Frankly, it's something I have never tested myself, instead
> > > just keeping the amp tuned correctly and underdriving when using SSB.
> > > I've never gotten any complaints of splatter so I think it's under
> > > control. Since I do mostly RTTY and some CW it has not been an issue
> > > but I would like to be able to check it.
> > >
> > > Any recommended reading on the issue?
> > >
> > > Bill, W6WRT

Mark Hill - G4FPH
E-mail: g4fph@mjha.co.uk
Current web pages at: www.g4fph.net
Old web pages at: www.qsl.net/g4fph
Dipoles resonant on 1942 / 3720 / 7085 kHz
Three element wire beam coming soon on 14180 kHz!
Remember - SIDE for HV safety:
S witch off
I solate
D ump